Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Budget

That word really SUCKS!!! BUT...It is a word we ALL have to know the meaning of. That would include the definition and how to apply the definition to our lives.

It is said that is is best to have atleast 3 to 6 months worth of income in savings that you do not need to rely on. (i.e. can not use as your emergency fund). (I wish I did have 3to6 months worth of income sitting around...other than my 401K. But when things like a tree falling on your shed and your engine going out, it sort of makes that 3to6 months thing a "LOT" hard to achieve.

The wife and I attended the Dave Ramsey course a while back that teaches about budgeting. We have applied the principles to our lives but it still seems that some weeks are tighter than others. We do not just "throw our money to the wind." They are applied to tithing, bills, groceries, etc. VERY LITTLE goes to eating out, etc. Though we do eat out, we do it conservingly.

Yes, I want to accomplish the 3to6 months worth of income and set it aside in a savings account drawing about 5% interest.(or more of course). Heck, right now I want to achieve the $1,000.00 emergency fund again. (the engine took care of this)

Through our day to day though, the Lord ALWAYS provides. I started reading the book of Job this morning in the Bible. Now I have read this before but am reading it again and taking it slower. God allowed Satan to attack Job and so far, up to chapter 3, Job has not cursed God once and has not fell into sin because of all God has allowed to happen to him.

In Chapter 3, Job did start to get angry and curse the day he was born, etc., but he did not curse God. The word says that is is okay to get angry. But in your anger, DO NOT Sin!

Well, I can't say that I have been as strong as Job in the past but Lord I pray that you make me more and more like your servent Job. That when adversity comes that I will always be quick to give you the praise and that I will know that you are watching over me and that you have me and my familes best interest in mind.

Even though I have not finished reading the book of Job I do know that God restored EVERY back to Job...PLUS SOME! WHY???...Because Job never doubted God and never fell into Sin while going through all the tragedies that he went through.

May we all have the "Heart of Job" when we are going through things. We will "Reap a Harvest" if we do not give up!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Matthew and I have some of his CD's... We are actually certified to teach the crown ministries class on money. We've gone through some tight times ourselves. We've had those giselle (sp) moments and sold all sorts of things. We've saved up $1,000 a few times but managed to use it up. We are actually seeing a financial guy right now... i'd be happy to give you his name and number. He isn't there just to meet once and then to leave you... but he's going to meet with us every 6 months... its free but of course he makes his money by the things he sales us... but its things you need like life insurance and IRA's... anyways... sorry to take up so much space. hang in there!

Nicole said...

i've thought about it but at this point i may need to slow down a bit :)