Friday, February 5, 2010

My Life

I can look at my life and know that I am blessed beyond measure.

1) I am a Christian and washed by the blood of the Lamb; a gift that was given freely to me just by believing
2) I have a wife that loves me unconditionally; which trust me, because I know me, is hard at times
3) I have a son that brings much joy to my life and another little one on the way.
4) I have a roof over my head and shoes on my feet, two vehicles, one paid for and the other about to be and the only debt we will have is our mortgage
5) I have a God that watches over my coming and going
6) My wife and I have a job that brings in a decent income and are not in "need" of anything

So, since I know ALL of this, why does my soul get discouraged? I put my hope in God but there are many times throughout the day where I "think about life" and allow all the cares of the world get to me.

Having a child or more than one can take up a lot of your time and sometimes I find myself lacking in studying the word of God. There is a longing in my heart when I have been out of the word for a while and I know that there is nothing that can fill that longing except for a closer relationship with God.

Most of us have no idea how entrenched we are in the rut of routine. Externally, everything looks fine. Our activities often revolve around the church and Christian friends and the day to day humdrum. Unfortunately, this rut of humdrum activity can numb our souls until we find ourselves in need of spiritual refreshment. It it then that we need to pull out of that rut and take a different path. But how?!

James 4:8 tells us this, "Come near to God and he will come near to you" So, the answer is this, "God has not moved! It is us that has moved." Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.

Lord, I'm drawing closer! It is when I am closest to you that I have no worries about tomorrow. Heck, I have no worries about today when I am closest to you. It is at your feet that I want to stay Lord. In your presence is peace ever lasting. May I be a better steward of my time to allow for more and more of you to fill more and more of me!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Do not be discouraged... I can't tell you how many times I've clung to that since having my first child nearly 8 years ago. My encouragement to you would be this. Treasure your time in your car. I call that God time. Praise and worship music... talking to my Savior... some of our best convos happened there! And once Corban is old enough, establish a routine of Bible study with him. It's one of the best things I've done... not just for my boys. Not one single morning devotion goes by that I don't revel in and appreciate the simple message that we are learning. I take it as a reminder... just thoughts from this sleepy mom's brain.

Jamie said...

Do not be discouraged... I can't tell you how many times I've clung to that since having my first child nearly 8 years ago. My encouragement to you would be this. Treasure your time in your car. I call that God time. Praise and worship music... talking to my Savior... some of our best convos happened there! And once Corban is old enough, establish a routine of Bible study with him. It's one of the best things I've done... not just for my boys. Not one single morning devotion goes by that I don't revel in and appreciate the simple message that we are learning. I take it as a reminder... just thoughts from this sleepy mom's brain.